Discover everything you need to know about Tile’s Bluetooth trackers to find lost items and secure your belongings.
Tile trackers are a popular way to keep track of your valuables and find misplaced items using your smartphone. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover how Tile trackers work, compare the different Tile models, and provide tips for getting the most out of your Tiles.
What Are Tile Trackers and How Do They Work?
Tile trackers are small, Bluetooth-enabled devices that connect to the Tile app on your Android or iOS device. Simply attach a Tile to an item like your keys or wallet, and use the app to make your Tile ring when it’s nearby but hidden.
If your item goes missing outside of Bluetooth range, the Tile app leverages the network of phones running the app to anonymously update your item’s last known location. This allows you to view your lost item’s location on a map in the app.
The main components of the Tile tracking system are:
- The Tile trackers – These are the small, square-shaped devices that attach to your belongings.
- The Tile app – This app runs on your phone and communicates with the trackers via Bluetooth. It lets you locate and manage your Tiles.
- The Tile network – All Tile apps form a mesh network to track lost items out of Bluetooth range. Tile has sold over 40 million devices to date.
Tile trackers are powered by replaceable or built-in batteries designed to last 1-3 years depending on use. They are waterproof, dustproof, and durable.
Tile Tracker Comparison
Tile offers several different tracker models to suit your needs:
|The flagship tracker with 400ft Bluetooth range and loud ringer. Replaceable battery lasts 1 year.
|Tile’s affordable tracker with 250ft range. Non-replaceable battery lasts 3 years.
|A slim and versatile tracker that fits wallets and more. 250ft range, non-replaceable 3 year battery.
|An adhesive tracker for sticking items without holes like remotes and cameras. 250ft range, 3 year non-replaceable battery.
The Tile Pro is Tile’s premium tracker and provides the longest Bluetooth range at 400ft, a convenient replaceable battery, and the loudest ring of the bunch. It’s the best overall choice for most people.
Tile’s most affordable tracker sacrificies a replaceable battery and some range for a lower price. It’s a great budget option if you don’t mind replacing it after 3 years.
As thin as two credit cards, the Tile Slim easily slides into wallets, luggage tags, and more. It has a 250ft range and non-replaceable 3 year battery.
Forget keyrings – the versatile adhesive Tile Sticker sticks to laptops, cameras, outdoor gear, and more. It shares the Slim and Mate’s 250ft range and 3 year battery.Shop Tile 4-Pack on Amazon
How to Use Your Tile Trackers
Using your Tiles effectively comes down to the basics:
- Download the Tile app and create an account
- Power on your Tile and add it to your account via Bluetooth. If you encounter issues getting your Tile tracker working, refer to this tile tracker troubleshooting guide.
- Customize your Tile’s name, photo, ringtone
Attach Tiles to important items
- Attach your Tiles to keyrings, bags, electronics, wallets, etc.
- For non-hole items, use the adhesive Sticker or slide the Slim into a wallet
- Tiles are waterproof and durable
Use the Tile app to make your Tiles ring
- Open the app and select your Tile to make it ring loudly
- Use the proximity meter to hone in on the sound
Mark items as lost if out of Bluetooth range
- If your item goes missing beyond 200-400ft, mark it as lost in the app
- The Tile network will update your item’s last known location on the map
- You can then search that area when in range again
Utilize Tile’s network to find lost items
- With over 40 million Tiles sold, chances are high another user will detect your lost Tile
- The app will notify you when your lost item is found by another user
- The larger the network, the better your odds of recovering lost items
Consider Tile Premium for enhanced features
- Tile Premium provides item reimbursement, 30-day location history, free battery replacement, and more
- Pricing starts at $2.99/month or $29.99/year
- New Tile customers get 1 year free Premium with purchase
Tile Tracker Tips and Tricks
Follow these tips and tricks to master your Tiles:
- Give each Tile a unique name and ringtone so you can easily identify them when ringing
- Utilize Tiles two-way finding – double press the logo to make your phone ring, even on silent mode
- Attach Tiles to items prone to going missing like remote controls, cameras, luggage
- Register your lost items’ serial numbers and identifying details in the app
- Replace batteries annually for optimal performance
- Add Tiles to keychains, handbags, electronics – anywhere you may misplace valuables
- Enable Tile Premium features like Smart Alerts to notify you if you leave items behind
- Share your Tiles with family members so you can locate each other’s devices
- Update your contact info under Lost & Found in case someone locates your lost item
- Add Tile’s widget to your home screen for quick access to ring Tiles
- Buy a 4-pack and attach a Tile to every essential item you regularly misplace
- For pets, check out Whistle’s GPS pet trackers
- For travel, see if AirTags work internationally
- To maximize battery life, read about how long AirTag batteries last
Comparing Tile to Other Trackers
While Tile is the leader in Bluetooth trackers, there are some alternatives worth considering:
Pebblebee offers trackers similar to Tile but with rechargeable batteries. They have a slim, minimalist design and cost a bit more than Tile.
Samsung’s own tracker has a replaceable battery and works with SmartThings integration. It only works with Samsung Galaxy devices though.
Chipolo trackers are cheaper than Tile but have shorter battery life. They work across platforms like Tile and come in bright colors.
AirTags leverage Apple’s massive Find My network for unparalleled finding power. But they only work with Apple devices.
Tile still stands out for its vast device compatibility, replaceable batteries on some models, and integration with Google Assistant and Alexa. Tile’s network is smaller than Apple’s, but larger than most competitors.
Tile Tracker FAQ
How accurate are Tile location alerts?
Tile provides the general vicinity where your lost item was last detected, within about a 100 foot radius. It does not provide exact locations or turn-by-turn directions like an AirTag with location not updating.
How long do Tile batteries last?
The replaceable battery in the Tile Pro lasts around 1 year on average, while the non-replaceable batteries in the Mate, Slim and Sticker last around 3 years.
Are Tiles waterproof?
Yes, all Tile trackers are waterproof with an IP67 rating, meaning they can be submerged in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. See if AirTags can get wet.
Do Tile trackers work outside of the country?
Yes, Tile trackers work globally in over 195 countries. The Tile app and network functions the same internationally.
Can you track Tiles when phone is off?
No, your phone’s Bluetooth and Tile app needs to be actively running to track your Tiles. Your lost Tiles can still be found by other users’ phones though.
Tile trackers provide a convenient way to keep tabs on your valued possessions. With its wide selection of trackers, robust features, global network, and flexible pricing options, Tile is the leader in helping you locate lost items.
Choosing the right Tile model, properly setting up and attaching your Tiles, utilizing the app network, and following these tips will ensure you get the most from your Tiles. Stay organized and stop losing things with Tile Bluetooth trackers.