The Loc8tor Pet is a radio frequency-based tracker that helps cat owners locate lost pets. This comprehensive guide provides an in-depth look at how it works, key features, pros and cons, and how it compares to other cat trackers.
How the Loc8tor Pet Tracker Works
The Loc8tor Pet system consists of two main components – a lightweight pet tag that attaches to your cat’s collar and a handheld locator device.
- The pet tag transmits radio signals that are picked up by the locator. It is small and lightweight at just 0.2 ounces.
- The locator device receives the signals from the tag. When your cat goes missing, you use the locator to pick up the signal and track them down.
The locator has a range of up to 600 feet outdoors. As you get closer to your cat, the device provides audio and visual cues – beeping faster and flashing brighter – to pinpoint your cat’s location.
Setting Up the Loc8tor Pet
Getting started with Loc8tor Pet is quick and easy:
- Activate the pet tag by inserting the included battery and removing the plastic strip.
- Bring the tag within arm’s length of the locator device.
- Press and hold one of the locator’s four buttons for 3 seconds to pair the tag.
- Once paired, attach the lightweight tag to your cat’s collar.
That’s it! The tag will now communicate with the handheld locator.
Key Features and Specifications
Detection Range: Up to 600 feet outdoors, less indoors or if obstructed.
Battery Life: 4-12 months (replace battery every 4-6 months).
Water Resistance: Splashproof with included case.
Weight: Pet tag weighs just 0.2 ounces.
Audio and Visual Cues: Locator beeps faster and flashes brighter as you near your cat.
Multi-Pet Capable: Each locator can pair with up to 4 tags.
No Monthly Fees: One-time purchase, no subscription required.
Loc8tor Pet Pros and Cons
- Affordable one-time payment
- Long battery life up to 1 year
- Extremely lightweight pet tag
- Easy to set up and use
- Provides audio and visual tracking cues
- Works worldwide without cell or GPS service
- Limited 600 foot maximum range
- Not fully waterproof without case
- Can’t track pets outside of range
How Does Loc8tor Pet Compare to Other Cat Trackers?
GPS trackers provide the largest range and tracking capabilities but require monthly fees. They are heavier and not suitable for all cats. For cat owners looking for a long-range GPS tracker that doesn’t require monthly fees, a good option is the Pawscout.
Bluetooth trackers like Tile are affordable but have very limited range. Best for indoor use. For indoor cats that tend to hide, an affordable Bluetooth tracker like the Chipolo may be all you need.
Other RF trackers may have slightly longer range but the Loc8tor is smaller, lighter and simpler to use.
For adventure cats that explore the neighborhood, a GPS tracker like the Tractive may be a better fit.
When choosing a pet tracker, it’s useful to compare options side-by-side. This AirTag vs Tile comparison looks at the key differences between two popular models.
For peace of mind while traveling, luggage trackers like the Dynotag are a smart option to ensure your bags don’t get lost.
If you already use an Apple Watch, the Fi Smart Dog Collar can sync activity data between your devices, which is a unique feature.
Loc8tor Pet Review Summary
The Loc8tor Pet is a straightforward yet effective radio frequency tracker perfect for keeping tabs on indoor or backyard cats. Its long battery life, lightweight tag, and audio/visual tracking make it easy to pinpoint a lost pet within a 600 foot range.
While it lacks the full tracking capabilities of a GPS tracker, it provides an affordable, subscription-free alternative for cats that don’t wander too far. For many cat owners, the Loc8tor Pet hits the sweet spot between price, functionality and cat-friendly design.
- Radio frequency tracker with 600 foot range
- Small, 0.2 ounce tag attaches to collar
- Locator provides audio/visual cues when close
- 4-12 month battery life
- No monthly fees required
- Best for indoor cats or outdoor cats that don’t roam too far
For cat owners looking for an easy-to-use tracking solution, the Loc8tor Pet is a top choice to consider.